Established in 1961, IIM Ahmedabad is known for its flagship PGP (MBA) program that ranks #1 in India (NIRF) and #62 in the world by FT Rankings. Among the other programs offered include: MBA-PGPX for experienced professionals, MBA-FABM for food and agriculture business management, ePGD in Advanced Business Analytics.
About the flagship MBA-PGP program, IIM CAT 2022 registration to begin on August 3, 2022 and the last date to register for the same is September 14, 2022. In the year of 2021, IIM Ahmedabad posted an average package of INR 27.54LPA, directly competing with the likes of ISB with INR 28.29 LPA, IIM Bangalore with INR 28.98 LPA and IIM Kolkata with INR 28.3 LPA.
Final figures for placements for class of 2022 are not out yet. However, some facts have been published:
- In the first cluster, BCG came out as the top recruiter with 47 offers
- In the second cluster, Hindustan Unilever Limited (HUL), Samsung Electronics and CK Birla Group offered 6 offers each
- In the third cluster, fintech firms made the most offers- with 50% offers coming from UnDosTres, a mexican consumer payments major
- A total of 220 offers were rolled out by 190 participating firms
Further, IIM Ahmedabad’s second famous PGPX (Post Graduate program for working Executives) is currently accepting applications for class of 2024.
Vison: Educating and nurturing leaders of institutions and entrepreneurial organisations and supporting them in their efforts to create high-quality talent and value. IIMA supports its vision by placing emphasis on a high-performance work environment, supported by a culture of autonomy, creativity and collaboration amongst its faculty members, staff and students.
IIM Ahmedabad Highlights
|MBA Fees||INR 23 Lakhs|
|Average CTC||INR 26.13 LPA|
|Top Recruiters||Boston Consulting Group, Accenture Strategy, Paytm|
|MBA Total Shortlisted Candidates (2022)||691 (General Category)|
|MBA Waitlist Movement (2021)||39 (General Category)|
|MBA 2021 Batch Composite Score (Joined Candidates)||88.32 (General Category)|
IIM Ahmedabad: Interesting Facts
- Ranking: IIM Ahmedabad is popularly known for its oldest, flagship program. It is ranked #20 by Financial Times for Masters in Management globally. The college has also been awarded Best Agribusiness School Award 2021, for its MBA-FABM course. Check .
- Degree: MBA degree instead of a PG Diploma is conferred after the IIM Act of 2007 was implemented. And, this degree is recognised internationally.
- Fees: IIM Ahmedabad fee for MBA in total is INR 23 Lakh and financial aids ranging INR 3 LPA to INR 4 LPA are offered to students. Check
- Faculty: The faculty of IIM Ahmedabad have an average work experience of 10-20 years in MNCs and in study research. Check Out
- Placements: IIM Ahmedabad Placements 2022 are over now. The college has finished cluster 3 placements where UnDosTres was the largest recruiter. The highest number of offers have been made by the FinTech Firms. The third cluster comprised eight cohorts: Analytics & IT Consulting, Banking Insurance, Consumer Tech, Core Manufacturing & Infrastructure, Enterprises Tech, Financial Services, FinTech & Government Enterprises. Check
- 388 students accepted offers from 153 recruiters.
- Highest CTC: INR 58.88 (domestic) / INR 1.32 Cr (international)
- Average CTC: INR 26.13 (gone up from INR 25.83 LPA in 2021)
The best thing about an MBA course is that a student from any field, be it science, commerce or arts, can pursue this 2 year masters degree course.
IIM Ahmedabad Admission 2022 Dates
The following table represents the important dates regarding IIM Ahmedabad Admission 2023, which will be based on CAT 2022 scores.
|Event||2022 Academic Year Schedule||2023 Academic Year Schedule (Tentative)|
|CAT Registration||4 Aug, 2021 - 21 Sep, 2021||3 Aug, 2022 - 14 Sep, 2021|
|CAT Admit card Available||27 Oct, 2021 - 28 Nov, 2021||27 Oct, 2022|
|CAT Exam||28 Nov, 2021||27 Nov, 2022|
|CAT 2022 Answer Key Release||-||First Week of December 2022|
|CAT Result Declaration||3 Jan, 2022||First Week of Janaury 2023|
IIM Ahmedabad Accepted Entrance Exams 2022
CAT, GMAT, and GRE are the national-level/other entrance exams required for admission to all courses at IIM Ahmedabad. Online registration is available for eligible candidates at the official websites of the concerned institutes. Listed below are all the entrance exams the institute accepts for PG and doctoral programs:
|Course||Accepted Entrance Exam|
|PGP FABM||CAT/ GMAT|
|ePGP||CAT/ GRE/ GMAT/ IIM Ahmedabad Admission Test (IAT)|
|ePGD ABA||GMAT/ GRE/ CAT/ / ePGD ABA qualifying-cum-aptitude test|
|PhD (FPM)||GRE/ GMAT/ GATE/ UGC NET/ CSIR NET|
IIM Ahmedabad Admission Process 2023
IIM Ahmedabad admission will be done on the basis of CAT exam score. This year CAT registration will begin from August 3 till September 23. CAT exam will be conducted in the month of November. Here we have explained the detailed selection criteria for admission to the 2022-24 batch of the PGP at IIMA which is a two-step process.
On the basis of Composite Scores - candidates are short-listed for Analytical Writing Test (AWT) and Personal Interview (PI).
Calculation for Composite Score= .35* (Pro-rated AR Score/35) + 0.65* (Normalised overall CAT Score)
35% weightage is given to AR score and 65% to the CAT scores. AR score takes into account scores in 10th standard, the 12th standard (depending upon the stream, viz., ‘Science', ‘Commerce' and ‘Arts & Humanities'), the bachelor's degree programme (depending upon the discipline) and work experience.
However, for an Overseas candidate, a GMAT score of 720 is the minimum requirement to apply for the programme.
Based on the composite scores, students are called up for Written Ability Test (WAT) and Personal Interview (PI).
IIM Ahmedabad WAT and PI
WAT: The topic could be from current affairs (schemes launched by NaMo government), or from a socially debatable issue (do engineers make better managers, etc), or from philosophy (During high tide, the fish eat ants; while during a low tide, the ants eat the fish) or it could be an abstract topic (like Red, Colour of your dream etc). You would be given a time limit to think and write. It usually varies from 20-30 minutes.
- The pandemic has brought good outcomes for companies worldwide. A lot of companies have become more productive and many of them have announced permanent WFH for their employees. The task was to analyse the strengths and weaknesses of the given argument.
- A discussion between two-person was given related to positive and negative effects of social media, we have to present our views on that.
- Children now-a-days have more screen time. Parents feel this will affect their social life. Only if a child spends more time with their classmates, they are going to develop social skills. Write down the assumptions involved and analyze the argument.
Personal Interview: Typically an interview lasts for 30-45 minutes. The interview could be a 2 panel or 3 panel interview. The content of the interview depends on your work experience, profile and mood of the interviewer. Some would grill, and some would be chill.
Typically, the students have following suggestions to make regarding the interviews:
- Be thorough with your background- what you did and why you did it
- Interviewers may spend good amount of time why you want to do an MBA- be clear of your goals
- Make sure you are well aware of current affairs
- Smile and keep your calm- confidence in your answer will definitely help
IIM Ahmedabad Courses
Following are the courses offered by the Indian Institute of Management Ahmedabad under various specialisations and levels:
|Program||Program Details||Selection Basis|
|Post Graduate Program in Management ()||Duration: 2 years
Fees: INR 23 Lakhs
Eligibility: Candidates should score 50% in bachelor's OR professional degree qualifications Intake: 400
|CAT scores + AWT + PI|
|Post Graduate Program in Food & Agri-Business Management ()||Duration: 2 years
Fees: INR 21.5 Lakhs
Eligibility: Candidates should have 50% in Agriculture Sciences degree or equivalent CGPA. Intake: 44
|Executive Post Graduate Program ()||Duration: 1 year
Fees: INR 28 Lakhs
Eligibility: A bachelor's degree in a relevant discipline + work experience Intake: 140
|GMAT score + PGPMX Aptitude Test + 5-year working experience|
|Duration: 3-5 years (Full time)
Stipend: INR 30,000 per month
Eligibility: Masters in a relevant discipline. Intake: 16
|CAT / GMAT/ GRE or JRF in some fields|
|ePost Graduate Program () (Online Delivery)||Duration: 2 years
Fees: INR 20 Lakhs
Eligibility: Graduation + 3 years of Full-time Work Experience
|CAT / GMAT/ GRE Score + PI|
|Faculty Development Program ()||Fees: INR 30,680
Eligibility: Teaching Experience in Management of at least 2 years
|ePGD in Advanced Business Analytics ()||Duration: 16 months
Fees: INR 10 Lakhs
Eligibility: Graduation + 2 years of Full-time Work Experience
|CAT / GRE / GMAT / GATE + PI|
IIM-Ahmedabad vs IIM-Bangalore vs IIM-Calcutta
|Batch Size||389 (33.5% Woman, 35% freshers)||515 (29.5% Woman, 25% freshers)||480 (35% Woman, 42% freshers)|
|Campus area||102 acre||100 acre||135 acre|
|City||The weather during the summers may get unbearable (since there’s no AC in some of the hostels)||Bengaluru is the startup hub of India. The campus is located in the heart of the city which gives the students a chance to explore the city and network.||The campus is located far away from the city so the students have limited access to the city. The weather of the city is extremely hot and humid.|
|Curriculum||All courses are mandatory in the first year and the second year has all the elective courses.||IIM B offers a choice of 3 elective courses in the first year itself to prepare the students for the summer placements.||core courses in the first year and elective courses in the second. The curriculum is also known to be more intense quantitatively|
|Specialisation||Consulting (46%), Finance (16%) and Marketing (9.5%)||Consulting (36%), Product management (17%) and Finance (14%)||Consulting (32%), Finance (17%) and General Management (16%)|
IIMA is the perfect median between the other 2- it has a culture of clusters. IIMA people are not just achievers, but toppers throughout their lives, a trait that adds insecurity. This is why IIMA people have a very strong and lasting bond with a small group of people.
IIMB has a culture of heterogeneity. At B, each individual is an achiever by themselves. Unlike C, where students grow their social capital, at B, each student explores his/her individuality. There is no cluster of the students across any hostel block or class section. Each one is each one.
IIM- C has a complete opposite culture of homogeneity. Across the 3 IIMs, the closest knit family is that IIMC.IIMC is a classic example of common misery being the best binder of people. They are located outside the city, climate is difficult, education is tough. This torrid environment of C brings in a culture of togetherness within C-ites.
|Dual degree||IIM Ahmedabad has double-degree programme agreement with about six International schools such as ESSEC Business School, HEC, University of Bocconi||IIM Bangalore has double-degree programme agreement with about three International schools such as ESCP Europe Business School), Bocconi University and Hitotsubashi University Business School||IIM C offers a double degree in association with ESCP Europe. Full placement support is offered to students opting for the dual degree by the institutes.|
|USP||Centre for Innovation Incubation and Entrepreneurship (CIIE) helps students start their own company by providing mentorship and funding support.||NSRCEL is the hub of entrepreneurial activities at IIM B.||IIM C has a state-of-the-art finance lab that supports applied research in financial markets|
|Library size||Access to 1.9 Lakh books and journals||Access to 1.5 Lakh books and journals||Access to 1.1 Lakh books and journals|
IIM Ahmedabad Double Degree Program
IIM Ahmedabad has double-degree programme agreement with about six International schools such as ESSEC Business School France, HEC, France, University of Bocconi, Italy, European Business School, Germany, University of Cologne, Germany and ESCP Europe, France.
IIMA also has a dual degree exchange program wherein around 10–15 students go on exchange for two terms instead of one term. This exchange happens for terms V and VI. In such a scenario, the students who go for the dual degree also get a Masters degree from the exchange university, in addition to the IIMA PGDM.
The selection criteria for the dual degree is purely based on academic performance at IIMA, with no consideration given to extra-curricular activities. The students who go for the dual degree also have to either complete an additional thesis or internship at the exchange university depending on the requirements of the exchange university, so there is generally more workload.
IIM Ahmedabad Student Exchange
Each year, IIM-A selects 150 candidates and sends them to a premier B-School abroad to spend one academic term. Similarly, 90 students in those partner institutes come to IIM-A to study for one academic term.
The selection criteria for student exchange is a combination of academic performance at IIMA and extra-curricular activities (sports, music, quizzes, case competitions, Positions of Responsibilities and so on). Only the activities done as a part of IIMA are counted.
There are some scholarship options available for a few universities and countries, but generally only the top few students (based on the exchange rank) get those scholarships.
The grades for this term are not counted because of different grading schemes of the universities abroad, so the students just have to pass their courses. This gives them a lot of free time to travel.
IIM Ahmedabad Vs Other Top B Schools
|School||Fees||Average Placement||Batch size||Known for|
|INR 39.63 Lakhs||INR 34.07 LPA||600||Consulting/ Product|
|IIM-A||INR 23 Lakhs||INR 26.13 LPA||400||Finance/ Consulting|
|INR 24.50 Lakhs||INR 33.82 LPA||480||Product/Tech|
|INR 31 Lakhs||INR 34.2 LPA||520||Finance|
|INR 12.90 Lakhs||INR 30.73||360||Human Resource|
|INR 1.92 Lakhs||INR 32.4 LPA||289||Marketing|
IIM Ahmedabad Ranking
|School||NIRF Rank||FT Rank||QS Rank||Economist rank|
IIM Ahmedabad Batch Profile 2021
IIM Ahmedabad made new records in terms of Academic Background in the present batch of 2021-22. The number of Arts graduates increased to 5% than the previous year figures. Whereas lesser number of Science and Commerce graduates could grab the seat for the MBA program in IIM Ahmedabad. IIM Ahmedabad MBA 2022-24 batch witnessed an all time high non-engineering student enrollment of 33.5%. The average age of the MBA Batch 2022 remains unchanged at 23 years. The MBA/ PGP batch has female student participation of 23%.
IIM Ahmedabad Placements 2022
- From the batch of 388 students, 369 accepted offers from domestic firms and 19 received International offers all from South and Middle East Asia.
- The maximum offer made this year was INR 75 LPA for the consulting role.
- The Median Salary was INR 36.2 LPA with a guaranteed cash component of 22.5 LPA.
- Consulting firms led the rally by making 129 offers with an average 23 LPA CTC followed by BFSI sector firms hiring 61 students at 20 LPA average.
IIM Ahmedabad Placement Process
IIM Ahmedabad witnessed participation from 190 recruiters who extended 220 different roles to the PGP batch of 2022
This year, the PE/VC and Asset Management cohort witnessed close to 42 percent increase in the number of total offers. The Management Consulting cohort witnessed close to 30 percent increase in number of net offers over the last year
In 2021, average package at IIM stood at INR 27.56LPA, numbers for 2022 are expected to be released by 2022
Students at IIM-A are placed through 2 processes which happen at different stages through the course of the year
- Summer placements: After 1st year, the students are required to join an organization for 8-10 weeks. This happens after a few rounds of interviews and case studies that the companies conduct. Each company gets a chance to evaluate the interns over a long period in a real business situation and make pre-placement offers based on this evaluation. A number of companies have used these internships as a key source for full-time hires. It also helps students to be more receptive to market needs, and in deciding their area of specialisation in the second year.
- Final placements: Happen during the last term of the graduating year. IIMA has decided to move away from a day-based system to a cohort-based system. The new system is designed with the stated objective of providing a better student-recruiter fit. The process, along with many other changes in the design, allows recruiters to evaluate students over a longer duration while giving them more time to delve into the various career options.
The placement days for IIM-A are divided into clusters. If a person gets an offer in the first cluster, he would be moved out of the placement process and is considered placed. Formally, the clusters are divided into 3:
|Cluster 1||Investment banking & markets, management consulting, advisory consulting and private equity, venture capital & asset management||Accenture Strategy, American Express, Analysys Mason, Arthur D. Little, Avendus, Bain & Co., Boston Consulting Group, Citi, Credit Suisse, GEP Consulting, Goldman Sachs, IBM, HSBC, Kearney, KPMG, Mastercard, McKinsey & Company, Monitor Deloitte, Nomura, Oliver Wyman, Praxis, PWC & The Xander Group|
|Cluster 2||Advertising & media, consumer goods, consumer services, consumer electronics, general management & leadership and retail||Asian Paints, CavinKare, HUL, Indigo, ITC, Lenovo, Nestle, Reckitt Benckiser, Adani Group, Aditya Birla Group, CK Birla Group, Emaar and Tata Administrative Services. Amazon, Disney-Star, Myntra, Nykaa, PharmEasy|
|Cluster 3||Analytics & IT consulting, banking insurance, consumer tech, core manufacturing & infrastructure, enterprises tech, financial services, fintech and government enterprises||Garena, Eightfold.ai and H & R Johnson, Tata Consultancy Services, TVS Credit, Absolute foods, ICICI Bank, Axis Bank, Mitsui & Co. Ltd, Trident group, Zepto, Waycool, Justdial, Arya.Ag, Thermo Fisher|
All the students are placed as the cluster days finish off in a week. Usually, the process is as follows:
- The Companies conduct GD/ Case rounds for Cluster 1, followed by offer rollout the next day
- Similarly, on the 3rd day- GD/ Case rounds are conducted for Cluster 2- followed by offer roll-outs the next day
- As and when people get placed, the pool size of seeking individuals drops. Hence, it is believed the cream of the batch gets placed in top organizations on Day 1 itself
IIM Ahmedabad Scholarships
The institute endeavours to help deserving candidates in pursuing management studies. The following are scholarship schemes are offered at IIMA:
- IIMA Special Need-Based Scholarship: Offered to those students whose family income is below INR 15 Lakhs in the previous financial year. IIMA only approves scholarships to students once background checks and other related conditions are satisfied.
- SC/ST Scholarships: Students belonging to these categories are awarded INR 150 for 10 months straight, provided they are enrolled in a PG degree at IIMA.
- IIMA Exit Scholarships: A monthly stipend of INR 30,000 is awarded to those students who graduate to become entrepreneurs. While those who join Non-Profit- Organisations are awarded INR 3-4 Lakhs per student per year, for three consecutive years.
Industry Scholarships (need-based):
- Aditya Birla Group Scholarships: 03 meritorious students from PGP I and II years are awarded INR 1.75 Lakhs per annum per student. The selection is purely upon the discretion of members evaluating from Aditya Birla Group.
- OP Jindal Engineering and Management Scholarship: Either one or even two students from PGP second year are selected for this scholarship. The award is of INR 1.5 Lakhs per student for that year. Selection is upon discretion of the members evaluating.
Other Scholarships facilitated by the IIM Ahmedabad include scholarships awarded by various State governments to students from their states.
IIM Ahmedabad Faculty
IIM Ahmedabad is a centre of academic excellence and has hosted top faculties from India for its students. Since inception in 1961 by the renowned scientist Vikram Sarabhai, three RBI Governors have taught here. IIM Ahmedabad has a long practice of inviting guest faculty who are leaders in their respective industry few to be noted from existing pool are Vijay Govindarajan, author of bestselling book “Thinkers50”, Jayanth Verma Member of Monetary Policy of India, Anil Kumar Gupta, a Padma Shri awarded management educationist.
Faculty: As per a few media reports IIMs are struggling from shrinking teaching talent pool and the IIMs keep rotating the same talent at the senior level and the lower level largely consists of Indians who have earned their Ph.D from the campuses in the US and Europe.
at Collegedunia are very positive and scores 8.9/10 for Faculty rating.
IIM Ahmedabad has the best teachers among any other B-schools in the country. Most of the faculty is residential and Indian, and the school relies less on visiting faculty for the delivery of curriculum.
Some of the most prominent teachers at IIM-A include:
- Tarun Jain: Teaches Economics and holds a Ph.D. in Economics from the University of Virginia. He was earlier an Associate Professor at the Indian School of Business for a decade. Professor Jain's research has received funding from the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation. He was a management consultant with Charles River Associates in Washington DC and Oliver Wyman in Boston.
- Prof. Sourav Borah is an Associate Professor at IIM Ahmedabad, and teaches Marketing to MBA students at the institute. He holds a Ph.D. in Marketing from IIM Bangalore, and was earlier an Academic Associate at the Indian School of Business for nearly three years.
IIM Ahmedabad Alumni & Popular Startups
More than 30,000 candidates have graduated from IIM Ahmedabad till date from its establishment in 1962. Some of the Notable Alumni of IIM Ahmedabad are as follows:
Most popular startups of IIM Ahmedabad Alumni are
What IIM Ahmedabad Alumni Have to say:
- Mrs. Shikha Sharma, MD & CEO (Axis Bank)- “I owe a large part of whatever I have achieved to IIMA. It did a great job of equipping me with the knowledge and skills required to excel in a finance job, particularly analysis and research. Over the years I have found that these skills have been invaluable throughout my different responsibilities”
- Mr. Pulak Prasad, Founder (Nalanda Capital)- “I remember IIMA fondly for two things: for giving me a holistic perspective on life and on business, and for exposing me to highly accomplished individuals, many of whom remain dear friends even today.”
Life at IIM Ahmedabad
- Routine at IIM-A
Morning starts around 8:15 am, when you get up, grab something to eat on your way to classes, which commence at 8:45 am sharp. If you are late one day, well, the professor expects us to be on time the next day. We are not allowed to attend a lecture for which we are late as the institute rules do not favour students coming in late. This is a great way of teaching punctuality to the students.
Classes go on till 1:10 pm. And then, the next 35 minutes are spent wondering if we would have a surprise quiz or not. If we are lucky, we don’t have a quiz, and go for lunch. But if our phones receive messages from the academic office informing us of a quiz (a quiz in a subject which we are informed only at 1:45 pm), we go through the last minute preps. Quiz is generally held from 2:45pm to 3:15pm.
Usually, students eat something after the quiz, and get some sleep in the afternoon. In the evening, some of the students end up spending time in activities such as photography, or club activities and sports. Post-dinner, students spend their time on assignments, class preparation for the next day, reading cases for discussion in class, working on group assignments, preparing for another surprise quiz the next day and so forth. This easily takes up till around 2:00 am, when people finally reach the rooms. On a few days, we end up studying for some more time, before falling asleep.
And then, the cycle repeats!
Earlier, IIM Ahmedabad didn’t have appropriate infrastructure in place for accommodation purposes- with small rooms with no ACs. However, the institute has been developing the new campus for its students which is now functional and provides all the leisure of studying at the Top B- school.
There are 35 student dormitories with a total capacity to hold about 740 occupants. Apart from the dormitories there are 120 flats for married students. The dorms have ten single rooms on each floor arranged around a stairway and a tearoom. Staying in the dormitories is compulsory for students. Each dorm is also equipped with T.V., washing machine and refrigerator.
Almost all accommodations are single. Few may be on a sharing basis. Permission to stay outside the campus is not usually granted.
The dorms are of 3 types:
- Old Campus dorms: There are 10 rooms on each floor, adjacent to each other and sharing common bathrooms.
- New Campus dorms (18-27): it also has bathrooms on each floor which are shared across 12 rooms
- New Campus dorms (28-35): The architectural style is drastically different from other dorms, as there are no shared bathrooms but attached bathrooms in each room. There are 8 incredibly spacious rooms on each floor. Though superior, students won’t get enough opportunities to connect with dorm mates because of the closed architecture.
Key facts on housing in IIM-A:
- The allotment of dorms is completely random.
- The cost of housing is included in the total fees
- Most women students reside in old campus
- The authorities are liberal to manage student housing and lifestyle
Year at a glance at IIM Ahmedabad
Year 1: Until Summer Placements
Up until Summer Placements, things are fairly busy (November). Along with academic obligations, students start to work on resumes, get ready for interviews, attend company presentations, and finish the job assigned by the respective clubs joined.
It also takes some getting used to the academics. Classes are from 8:45 AM to 1:10 PM. Students would receive notification for a quiz at 1:45 PM, which is then conducted at 2:45 PM, therefore the time between 1:10 PM and 1:45 PM is filled with anxiety. The majority of assignments have a due date of 11:59 PM. Hence the second half is consumed by assignments, simulations or club activities.
Year 1: After Summer Placements
This window is considerably more relaxed since students would be placed, and can focus on academics and other things on campus.
Now, students have flexibility to select the courses, and hence deciding on the academic rigor according to the courses you choose.
Some students take on positions of responsibility on campus, while others participate in exchange or dual degree programmes.
People begin preparing in October or November for the final placements, which begin around January and last until February (if they are sitting for placements).
IIM Ahmedabad Social Life:
Apart from all the academic rigour, the Social Life at IIM Ahmedabad offers students a plethora of opportunities to interact and bond with the cohort.
IIM Ahmedabad is known for its annual student initiatives and hosts a lot of programs throughout the year. Some major celebrations include:
- Chaos: Cultural fest
- TRBS: It is one of the largest management symposium hosted in any of the Indian B-schools
- Shaurya: Intercollege sport fest covering range of sports
- Sangharsh: Core team of IIM-ABCL play against each other, nice opportunity to interact with other IIM folks.
IIM Ahmedabad Sports
IIM Ahmedabad focuses on holistic development of it’s students- and provides infrastructure to support sports like: Basketball, Football, Table Tennis, Lawn Tennis, Volleyball, Cricket, Frisbee, Throwball, Hockey, Pool, Swimming amongst many others
Recently, IIM-Ahmedabad has also taken steps to revamp its infrastructure and has reconstructed few of the sports facilities including the swimming pool.
The school has dedicated sportscom for its students. Sportscomm is the IIM-A students' SAC committee which is responsible for:
- Maintaining and enhancing sports infrastructure
- Organising various sports events
- Selecting teams that represent IIM-A in various sports tournaments
IIM Ahmedabad Other facilities
- World-class, state of the art amphitheatre styled air conditioned classrooms which have Wi-Fi, and fitted with computers, overhead projectors and screens and wireless public address system.
- Syndicate rooms for each study group for group studies/projects/assignments. Each room will have a locker, printer and table and chairs and Wi-Fi/LAN connectivity.
- Vegetarian and non-vegetarian meals are served in the dining hall.
- Facilities for indoor/outdoor games, recreation activities and gymnasium are available on subscription basis for self and family.
- There is a Student Activity Block (SAB) in the new campus which has facilities such as lounge, gymnasium, snacks counter, indoor games (caroms, chess) facilities, dance pit, etc.
- Many PGPX and most FPM students live in Married Student Housing (MSH) in the campus. The spouses of these students have their own clubs and there are many children on campus. There are dedicated children's playing areas as well as a crèche in the campus. There are many good schools nearby for families wanting to admit their children in Ahmedabad while they stay here.
- There is a dispensary on the campus with resident doctors including a Gynecologist.
- There is a branch of the State Bank of India with ATM facility as well as an AXIS Bank ATM
- There are various food cafes on campus.
- Parking facilities. You may bring your vehicles to the campus if you love traveling across the city or region during breaks
IIM Ahmedabad Living Expenses
Let’s do the maths for IIMA.
Your housing and books are already included in the tuition fees.
Major cost buckets for average student could be:
- Food: There is an option to select a combination of breakfast, lunch or/and dinner. Students can also specify whether they'd want the vegetarian option or the non-vegetarian one, and then charge accordingly. It amounts to between 3-5k per month. The subscription needs to be renewed monthly. Students can also opt for other eateries at IIM-A, but then cost would shoot up to 300-400/day.
- Laundry: Assuming students have an average of 25 pieces of laundry per week. Considering a Rs. 10 per piece, the expenses will be 250 INR/week.
Items for daily use: Again a minor expense, assumed around 1000/month
IIM Ahmedabad FAQs
Ques. Will I get a confirmed seat in IIM Ahmedabad with 99 percentile?
Ans. To get admitted into any IIMs including IIM Ahmedabad, the minimum CAT 2021 cutoff is expected to be a minimum 90 percentile. Those who have secured the 99+ percentile in CAT 2021 may apply to top IIMs like IIM Bangalore, IIM Ahmedabad, IIM Lucknow, IIM Calcutta, and IIM Kozhikode.
Ques. How much academic CGPA is required for the IIM Ahmedabad profile shortlist?
Ans. For IIM Ahmedabad, The candidate must hold a bachelor's degree, with at least 50% marks or equivalent CGPA (in case of the candidate belonging to Scheduled Caste (SC)/Scheduled Tribe (ST)/Persons with Disabilities (PwD) category, this is relaxed to 45%), the academic weightage for class X is 10% for minimum or greater than 90% marks.
Ques. Will I be getting a Master’s Degree or Diploma upon successful completion of the IIM Ahmedabad Executive PGP program?
Ans. e-Mode Post Graduate Programme (ePGP) in Management is a two-year post graduate programme with added flexibility of completion in 3 years, leading to awarding "Master of Management Studies (eLearning Mode)", offered on Virtual Interactive Learning Platform (VILP) platform. Upon successful completion of ePGP Programme at IIM Ahmedabad, the institute provides a Master's Degree to its students instead of a diploma degree.
Ques. Is there any programme offered by IIM Ahmedabad which I can do without leaving my job?
Ans. Yes, The ePGD-ABA is a 16 months' diploma programme offered by IIM Ahmedabad. delivered through a blend of online and on-campus class room sessions. Given that this programme is meant for working professionals, the classes will be held on Weekends and public holidays.This format is to help you advance your career while working.
Ques. What is the pedagogy at PGPX in IIM Ahmedabad?
Ans. IIM Ahmedabad encourages all its students to indulge in rigorous case study analyses in the classrooms. They take into account all sorts of issues to held them be equipped with vigorous tasks at hand and otherwise. Games and role plays, meditation, field trips, international exposure, and various exercises are also incorporated in the programme so that learning is not limited to books. The course consists of 700 hours of classroom sessions and requires another 1500 hours of group and self study sessions. The groups are created such that students are able to cooperate and work with other students from diverse educational, cultural, and professional backgrounds.
Ques. Is 4 hours of sleep really synonymous to IIM Ahmedabad?
Ans. It’s a very common belief that once you join IIM A, you’ll forget what a healthy amount of sleep really is. And it is true to some extent. Once you enter IIM A, you’ll realise that you are just a small fish in a big pond, and that there are SHARKS around. In order to survive the pressure of cut throat competition, surprise quizzes, the case methodology and tiring classes, you’ll definitely be sacrificing your precious sleep. But the negligible sleep equation that comes with IIM Ahmedabad would only remain till the first term because that’s the most stressful one and that’s actually a good news since after that you’ll easily adapt to the environment of this prestigious institution and probably be able to fix your sleeping schedule and your time management skills.
Ques. What is the value of an MBA from IIM Ahmedabad as opposed to Harvard?
Ans. IIM A was established in 1961 while Harvard was established in 1636. Comparison between a 60 year old institution and an institution that is 400 year old is not really very sensible. There’s a vast difference between both of these institutions and the countries they are located in, the diversity, the history and also their economy.
However, there are some differences that can be noted. The first is obviously their age, and the second one is that the educational fee of Harvard is almost 4 times that of IIM Ahmedabad. Uh oh, bummer. Whether you pass out of Harvard or from IIM Ahmedabad, your landing into the most prestigious companies like Goldman Sachs, P&G, JP Morgan is confirmed as long as you work hard. Basically, in terms of opportunities IIM Ahmedabad stands eye to eye with Harvard even after the age difference and that’s really commendable.
Ques. Is the net opportunity cost of MBA from IIM Ahmedabad really worth it?
Ans. The first thing that comes into mind when a person decides to pursue MBA from IIM Ahmedabad is whether it is worth the money you are investing in pursuing this degree. That's not the only criteria to base your decision on but it's still an important one. To evaluate the cost of MBA, opportunity cost method is used by most of the people, which is, in simple language, the cost of ‘not taking the next best alternative’. The opportunity costs as well as total costs for doing an MBA from IIM Ahmedabad soar really high. The opportunity cost gets higher with prior experience and the total cost could be around 25-50 lakhs. However, the learning, experience and the environment that IIM Ahmedabad provides cannot be priced. Every penny you spend on it would be worth it.
Ques. How is the infrastructure of IIM Ahmedabad?
Ans. At IIM Ahmedabad, your life usually revolves around seminar halls and library. The campus is built on an area of 102–106 acres having two distinct identities called an old campus and a new campus. Both the campuses are connected with a well-lit tunnel which has a number of pictures giving a glimpse of the rich IIM Ahmedabad heritage. The IIM Ahmedabad campus has a world class infrastructure with greenery all around, a good wi-fi connection, a well stacked library giving access to the best online global journals, air-conditioned classes etc. The Louis Khan Plaza has become the centre of life for mostly all major events that take place in the institute.
IIM Ahmedabad has a very well-equipped library called the Vikram Sarabhai Library (VSL) which is named after Dr. Vikram Sarabhai, the founding director of IIM Ahmedabad and a world renowned physicist. Set up in 1962, this library is known to be one of the best management libraries in Asia. The library is open at any time of the day as its aim is to facilitate user friendly and convenient access to relevant current global information by acquiring, identifying, organizing and retrieving information in various formats.
Ques. What are some of the facilities for students in the campus of IIM Ahmedabad?
Ans. Amphitheatre style air-conditioned classrooms with full connectivity, computers, projectors, screens and wireless public address system, printers, chairs, lockers are some of the facilities provided in all classrooms. The whole campus is equipped with Wi-Fi/LAN connectivity. There is a fully air-conditioned gymnasium for fitness enthusiasts and for indoor players, there are a lot of sports facilities such as badminton, basketball, and football courts. Food options include vegetarian and non-vegetarian meals. There is also a snacks counter, dance pit, lounge in the Student Activity Block (SAB).
Ques. Which student profiles in IIM Ahmedabad have a low placement rate?
Ans. The students who are not sure about their career aspirations and have a low profile are the most common examples who find it difficult to secure a campus placement. Further, the students who only possess technical knowledge with no exposure and prior experience in management fields are also withdrawn from the placement drives. Participants should get a couple of years of experience in a variety of new roles to be preferred more before they apply to the PGPX. This prior experience will help their career prospects be worthwhile and will definitely elevate their PGPX experience.
Ques. How is IIM Ahmedabad different from other IIMs?
Ans. IIM Ahmedabad delves into the case pedagogy by putting individuals into the decision maker’s shoes so that they can see for themselves what the problem is and can successfully tackle the same. This way of teaching business is a strong point of IIM Ahmedabad and strikes a contrast from other IIMs. Secondly, IIM Ahmedabad has a higher cut-off than other IIMs so it seems like the most lucrative option for most students unless they have a problem commuting. Thirdly, IIM Ahmedabad has a world-famous faculty that makes decisions related to the institute. Since most of the faculty members are IIM Ahmedabad alumni, they have a better sense of what the needs of the institution are.
Ques. What scholarships are available at IIM Ahmedabad?
Ques. Is CAT score compulsory for IIM Ahmedabad EPGP?
Ques. What are the courses offered by IIM Ahmedabad?
Ans. IIM Ahmedabad offers PGP in Management (now MBA), MBA in Food and Agri-Business Management (MBA-FABM), Armed Forces Program, Faculty Development Program and Executive PGP in Management. Check .